Welcome to Finance For Geek! I’m Vincent, a 31
30-year-old guy living with my girlfriend (been 9 8 years already!) in Canada. I recently finished crushing around $27,000 in student loan debt (combined for my SO and I). I have been working for a few years already but due to poor habits and *not so good* choices I haven’t really saved or invested anything. That’s why I decided to regain control of my finances and to sharpen my finance and investing skills.
My website name is kind of a lie! Even if I really enjoy finance and I’m considered a geek (as everyone working in IT I guess), this website is not specifically aimed at geeks and finance. It just happens that I liked this name and it was available when I registered it with Bluehost.
Tell Me More
I’ve recently started being quite obsessive when it comes to personal finance, starting when I discovered a few months ago the great world of finance blogging and personal finance. Having finished to pay my student loans but without any real savings was kind of a much-needed wake-up call for me, which led to the creation of this website on September 30, 2016. I started it as a place for me to share my adventures in trying to reach financial independence. This is also a way to improve my finances and to help others in doing so (check out my recommended resources page for some great products and services).
So this is as much about me as it is about you, readers! I’m particularly fond of honesty and transparency. That’s why I decided to detail from day one everything I do have and everything I’m planning to do on a financial aspect (which you can find summarized on my financial stats page). I have, as many financial independence aspirants, a goal regarding a dollar amount I will *need* to be able to retire early (kind of as I’m starting late!).
The Big Picture
The magic number would be $2,000,000 for me. I know that you’re probably wondering why I chose that number? Just because I’ve read a lot about people willing to reach one mil before they retire early and because I’m the kind of competitive guy. I’ll detail this number in an upcoming post later this year, and I’m already well-aware that this is a really long-term goal, but who cares, because as they say “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars”.
As a first step, I’m aiming at reaching $20,000 savings before next year (everyone has to start somewhere). I will be trying in the next few months to also improve the design and to monetize this website, which is among a few topics that I’d like to talk about. So, as you guessed, I’m aiming at writing about a wide variety of topics on this website!
Random Facts About Me
- I was born and raised in the southwest of France, and my SO keeps telling me I kept my sexy accent from there even after living in Canada for a few years.
- I’m kind of hyperactive. I have to stay busy and I’m always willing to try new stuff.
- I’m a travel addict person. I’ve lived and traveled in many different countries and I am really not sure if I will be able to settle down somewhere one day …
- I finished my studies *quite* late (I was 26 years old), mainly because I tried many different things before I found a fulfilling career … which happens to be a one I like but also a one I do not want to be in for the rest of my life.
- I am the most optimistic guy you will ever meet and I consider myself to be very ambitious in all aspects of my life.
- I’m proud to say that I’m a marathon runner (twice!). Even though I have been a runner for a long time, I never thought I could run a marathon one day. But it happens that this one time my SO told me something like “You won’t be able to do it”, which I promptly felt like a personal challenge! I think this sums up quite my mentality as a person willing to take risks sometimes and going forward. So in a manner of speaking this website is kind of a marathon for me, as I started it from the bottom, but hopefully it will be worth it in the end!
I really want this website to be a fun place to share and interact with each other. Whether you’re starting at zero like me, or if you are well already on your way to reach financial independence I would really like if you wanted to share your journey with me here!
Starting this website was like a fresh new start for me, and I definitely recommend that you do so (as simple as registering with Bluehost). It allowed me to structure and to plan for my next moves in a financial-style. It definitely takes less than 15 minutes to get started, and I recently published a detailed guide on how to start a blog!
I will try to keep a strict post schedule (once a week for now, probably twice a week in the near future). I definitely want to write about topics such as financial independence, career-related stuff, blogging in general, so the next few months might keep me busy!
If you like what you see or have any questions, suggestions or just want to get in touch, feel free to contact me here.