A lot of personal finance tips revolve around the concept of earning more and/or spending less. But what if there was a way to save more while spending money? Meet the awesome Drop App!
In a nutshell, Drop App (available both on iOS and Android) lets you supercharge your debit cards and credit cards to get rewarded with extra points when you spend money at your favorite stores. Some might say this is not the perfect way to manage your finances, as the basics of Drop App is to get rewarded for spending money. Which is true! But still, the concept is really interesting and there’s not a single downside to using it, so why not get rewarded for spending money you would have spent anyway.
Updated Drop App Review 2017
I’ve been using Drop App for a few months already, as it’s been available in Canada since mid-2016 and I’ve already earned
$100 (now $300+!) dollars as Drop rewards from basically doing stuff I was already doing! They successfully managed to build up a base of 70,000 millennial-aged customers in Canada, and they are now coming to the US (the app has been officially launched as of October 10th 2017).
UPDATE November 2017: Drop App Rewards just announced that they have reached 500,000 users! Also, it’s nice to see some awesome Canadian App being so successful once again, like Mylo or Wealthsimple, so I had to talk about it! So here it is, my complete Drop Review!
- How does Drop App work?
- Get started easily with Drop
- Is Drop App safe?
- Participating Brands
- Available Drop Rewards
- Drop App Bonus & Referral Program
- Drop App Review Summary
- Final thoughts
How does Drop App work?
Drop initial setup can be explained in as few as three simple steps:
- Link your debit or credit card(s)
- Start shopping at your favorite stores and earn points while shopping
- Get rewards from your favorite stores with your easy-earned points
But a few key differences set Drop App apart from other apps and services out there:
- Users can link both their credit and debit cards to the app.
- Drop collects various rewards programs on one app, thus eliminating the need to keep physical loyalty cards.
- Drop uses an algorithm to target users with offers and rewards they’ll like based on their spending habits.
- It’s totally free to use Drop and Drop points do not expire..
- Each point is worth 1/10 of a penny. For example, 1,000 points is worth $1.
Get started easily with Drop
Drop has already been available for a few months in Canada, but was in beta for the US until October 09th 2017. It has since been officially launched! There are three simple steps to get started with Drop.
- Register on Earnwithdrop.com or download the iOS App or the Android App
- Link at least one debit or credit card
- Choose five initial brands from where you want to earn points
Once done, any purchases made with one of your linked cards at your selected brands will earn drop reward points. That’s as simple as that!
Is Drop App safe?
Drop uses bank-level 256-bit encryption to ensure your data is safe. Drop also never stores your bank credentials, and they never have access to your accounts at anytime.
They link to your cards by securely connecting to your online banking accounts via the same technology that leading fintech companies use (such as Mint, Acorns, and Robinhood), so there’s nothing to worry about. You can read more about their security here.
Drop lets you earn points which you can use towards gift cards whenever you shop at participating brands with one of your linked cards. However, initially you only get to choose 5 brands where you will be able to earn points through Drop. That’s why you need to choose carefully, because you can’t change (at the moment) these brands after you make your selection.
Also, offers, brands and rewards will be different whether you’re in the US or in Canada of course. Aside from these recurring offers, there are also 1-time offers which you can activate from time-to-time. Drop uses an algorithm to target users with offers and rewards based on their spending habits.
Here are some offers you might choose from in the US (whether it be 1-time or ongoing offers):
- Frank + Oak (50 points per $1 spent)
- Amazon.com (20 points per $1 spent)
- Starbucks (15 points per $1 spent)
- Uber (15 points per $1 spent)
- Walmart (10 points per $1 spent)
- McDonald’s (10 points per $1 spent)
- Walgreens (10 points per $1 spent)
- Target (10 points per $1 spent)
Available Drop Rewards
Drop already has partnered with many major brands and there’s not doubt you’ll get some rewards easily at one of your preferred store. Remember that you can redeem your points to any store, as gift cards, no matter on which brands you earned them! Here are some Drop rewards you might choose from in the US:
- $5 Starbucks = 5,000 Points
- $10 Amazon.com = 10,000 Points
- $15 Groupon = 15,000 Points
- $15 AMC = 15,000 Points
- $25 Lyft = 25,000 Points
- $50 Hotels.com = 50,000 Points
- $50 Best Buy = 50,000 Points
- $100 American Airlines = 100,000 Points
Drop App Bonus & Referral Program
Once you have signed up for a Drop account, you can participate in the Drop referral program to earn extra points when referring your friends to both the Drop App and also to the special offers that are available from select merchants. When a friend signs up for Drop with your invite code and link their card, you will both get 1,000 bonus points.
Aside from one-time and recurring offers, you can also earn points when you do qualifying activities and other app-related activities. You can see all the bonuses available in the”Discover tab” and then “Unlock Bonuses“. Here are some of these bonuses:
- 1,000 points ($1) for joining Drop
- 1,000 points ($1) for each referral.
- 2,000 points ($2) points for adding your second card
- 5,000 points ($5) after referring five friends
Finally, one last way to earn Bonus Point is with Supercharge Bonus. Drop Supercharge is a game of snake that is available to play every time you spend 5 times with your offers. If you’re old enough you might remember the snake game, from Nokia cell phones. This is a simple snake game where you get to earn extra points for basically.. playing snake!
Drop App Review Summary
- Completely Free – Drop App is and always will be free. Also Drop points do not expire!
- Large Selection of Rewards – You get to choose from a lot of different brands to redeem your gift cards, everyone should be able to find a store they like easily.
- Great Referral Program – Get an additional 1,000 bonus points when you invite a friend to Drop.
- Recurring Offers Change – This might be the only downside of Drop. When you first signup you get to choose five different brands where you earn your rewards which you can not change after (at the moment). But as Drop features a lot of one-time offers this is not specifically a problem and this should change in the future.
- Drop App is the ultimate rewards App to get rewarded with extra points when you spend money at your favorite stores. It’s free, the interface is awesome and so easy to use and with a really wide selection of brands to choose from to use your easy-earned gift cards, Drop App is the perfect way to get rewarded for doing what you were already doing. Beware as it can get quickly addictive!
What makes drop perfect is that it does not interfere at all with any other reward programs. Drop also works both on debit and credit cards and with a wider selection of retailers to shop from and offers to redeem (with a list constantly evolving!), Drop App makes the perfect rewards App to improve your savings without changing anything to your spending habits.
But the best part in my mind is that there are literally no downside of using it. Imagine if you use a cash-back credit card (like Tangerine if you’re in Canada) and shop online through Ebates to one of the participating retailers, which in turn allows you to earn Drop points rewards with your linked credit card. That’s basically a three-in-one combo for a single shopping trip! I guess you could say that’s the ultimate savings method.
With an ever increasing connected world and with people not willing to carry on yet another loyalty card, just remember that all of this is done auto magically, without any user interaction! The downside? It can get addictive and you should not fall prey to spending more than you intend to somewhere just to earn points, but if you were willing to buy something at a specific store in the first place, why not get rewarded three times for it!
Other financial tools reviews you might be interested in
- Automatically invest your money: Wealthsimple Review
- Automatically roundup and invest your spare change: Mylo Review