A lot of personal finance tips revolve around the concept of earning more and/or spending less. But what if there was a way to save more while spending money? Meet the awesome Drop App, and learn more on my complete Drop App review!
In a nutshell, Drop App (available both on iOS and Android) is a shopping app that lets you supercharge your debit cards and credit cards to get rewarded with extra points when you spend money at your favorite stores. Some might say this is not the perfect way to manage your finances, as the basics of Drop App is to get rewarded for spending money. Which is true! But still, the concept is really interesting and there’s not a single downside to using it, so why not get rewarded for spending money you would have spent anyway. With Drop, you don’t have to spend extra money to earn those rewards.
I’ve been using Drop App for a few months already, as it’s been available in Canada since mid-2016 and I’ve already earned
$100 (now $300+!) dollars as Drop rewards from basically doing stuff I was already doing! They successfully managed to build up a base of 70,000 millennial-aged customers in Canada, and they are now coming to the US (the app has been officially launched as of October 10th 2017).
It’s nice to see some awesome Canadian App being so successful once again, like Mylo or Wealthsimple, so I had to talk about it! So here it is, my complete Drop App Review! If you haven’t downloaded the app yet, use drop referral code ffgeek to start referring your friends (the code is case sensitive so use only lowercase) and earn an extra 1,000 Drop points.
Drop App Review Overview
- Completely Free – Drop App is and always will be free. Also Drop points do not expire!
- Cumulative With Other Reward Programs – Drop is an easy way to earn rewards in addition to credit card points and shopping portal bonuses.
- Large Selection of Rewards – You get to choose from a lot of different brands to redeem your gift cards, everyone should be able to find a store they like easily.
- Great Referral Program – Get an additional 1,000 bonus points when you invite a friend to Drop.
- Recurring Offers Change – This might be the only downside of Drop. When you first signup you get to choose five different brands where you earn your rewards which you can not change after (at the moment). But as Drop features a lot of one-time offers this is not specifically a problem and this should change in the future.
Updated Drop App Review 2018
UPDATE October 2017: Drop App has been officially launched in the US on October 10th 2017.
UPDATE November 2017: Drop App Rewards just announced that they have reached 500,000 users!
UPDATE December 2017: Since mid-2016, I have invited over 150+ friends to Drop, so Drop created a special invite code just for Finance For Geek readers: ffgeek. Please feel free to use it if you need an invite Code to get 1000 points from Drop!
Table of Contents
How does Drop App work?
Drop App initial setup can be explained in as few as three simple steps:
- Link your debit or credit card(s)
- Start shopping at your favorite stores and earn points while shopping
- Get rewards from your favorite stores with your easy-earned points
But a few key differences set Drop App apart from other apps and services out there:
- Users can link both their credit and debit cards to the app.
- Drop App collects various rewards programs on one app, thus eliminating the need to keep physical loyalty cards.
- Drop App uses an algorithm to target users with offers and rewards they’ll like based on their spending habits.
- It’s totally free to use Drop and Drop points do not expire..
- Each point is worth 1/10 of a penny. For example, 1,000 points is worth $1.
Get started easily with Drop App
Drop App has already been available for a few months in Canada, but was in beta for the US until October 09th 2017. It has since been officially launched! There are three simple steps to get started with Drop.
- Register on Earnwithdrop.com or download the iOS App or the Android App and you’ll earn 1,000 Drop points (worth $1).
- Link at least one debit or credit card
- Choose five initial brands from where you want to earn points
Once done, any purchases made with one of your linked cards at your selected brands will earn drop reward points. That’s as simple as that!
Is Drop App safe?
Drop App uses bank-level 256-bit encryption to ensure your data is safe. Drop also never stores your bank credentials, and they never have access to your accounts at anytime.
One important thing to consider for this Drop App review is that Drop link to your cards by securely connecting to your online banking accounts via the same technology that leading fintech companies use (such as Mint, Acorns, and Robinhood), so there’s nothing to worry about. You can read more about their security here.
Drop App lets you earn points which you can use towards gift cards whenever you shop at participating brands with one of your linked cards. However, initially you only get to choose 5 brands where you will be able to earn points through Drop. That’s why you need to choose carefully, because you can’t change (at the moment) these brands after you make your selection.Redeeming with Drop App is as easy as a tap. Get the rewards you want, instantly.Click To Tweet
Also, offers, brands and rewards will be different whether you’re in the US or in Canada of course. My Drop App review would not be complete if I did not include some of the offers you might choose from in the US (whether it be 1-time or ongoing offers):
- Frank + Oak (50 points per $1 spent) – 5% back
- Amazon.com (20 points per $1 spent) – 2% back
- Starbucks (15 points per $1 spent) – 1.5% back
- Uber (15 points per $1 spent) – 1.5% back
- Walmart (10 points per $1 spent) – 1% back
- McDonald’s (10 points per $1 spent) – 1% back
- Walgreens (10 points per $1 spent) – 1% back
- Target (10 points per $1 spent) – 1% back
- Whole Foods (8 points per $1 spent) – 0.8% back
For example, if you spend $1,000 per month on groceries at Whole Foods, you would earn 8 Drop points (0.8% back) per $1, which would adds to 8,000 Drop points. That’s worth $8 in rewards (8,000 Drop points X 0.1 cents per point) which you can later trade in for gift cards to Amazon, Starbucks, Groupon, and a lot more!
Aside from these recurring offers, there are also 1-time offers which you can activate from time-to-time. Drop App uses an algorithm to target users with offers and rewards based on their spending habits. You don’t have to do anything except activate these offers and meet the required spending (if any). Drop App will automatically track your spending and award the bonus points.
Available Drop App Rewards
When you reach a certain number of points, you can redeem them for gift cards to popular retailers. Drop App already has partnered with many major brands and there’s not doubt you’ll get some rewards easily at one of your preferred store.
Remember that you can redeem your points to any store, as gift cards, no matter on which brands you earned them! Here are some Drop App rewards you might choose from (in the US):
- $5 Starbucks = 5,000 Points
- $10 Amazon.com = 10,000 Points
- $15 Groupon = 15,000 Points
- $15 AMC = 15,000 Points
- $25 Lyft = 25,000 Points
- $50 Hotels.com = 50,000 Points
- $50 Best Buy = 50,000 Points
- $100 American Airlines = 100,000 Points
Drop App Bonus & Referral Program
Once you have signed up for a Drop App account, you can participate in the Drop App referral program to earn extra points when referring your friends to both the Drop App and also to the special offers that are available from select merchants. When a friend signs up for Drop App with your invite code and link their card, you will both get 1,000 bonus points.
You do not need to use an invite code if you’re using my Drop App referral link to get a drop promo bonus of 1000 points (you just need to link your cards), but if you need one invite code for another reason, feel free to use my drop app promo code: ffgeek
Aside from one-time and recurring offers, you can also earn points when you do qualifying activities and other app-related activities. You can see all the bonuses available in the”Discover tab” and then “Unlock Bonuses“. Here are some of these bonuses:
- 1,000 points ($1) for joining Drop
- 1,000 points ($1) for each referral.
- 2,000 points ($2) points for adding your second card
- 5,000 points ($5) after referring five friends
Finally, one last way to earn Bonus Point is with Supercharge Bonus. Drop Supercharge is a snake game that is available to play every time you spend 5 times with your offers. If you’re old enough you might remember the snake game, from Nokia cell phones. This is a simple snake game where you get to earn extra points for basically.. playing snake!
Drop App Review Summary
- Drop App is the ultimate rewards App to get rewarded with extra points when you spend money at your favorite stores. As detailed in my Drop App review, it’s free, the interface is awesome and so easy to use and with a really wide selection of brands to choose from to use your easy-earned gift cards, Drop App is the perfect way to get rewarded for doing what you were already doing. Beware as it can get quickly addictive!
What makes Drop App perfect is that it does not interfere at all with any other reward programs. Drop App also works both on debit and credit cards and with a wider selection of retailers to shop from and offers to redeem (with a list constantly evolving!), Drop App makes the perfect rewards App to improve your savings without changing anything to your spending habits.
But the best part in my mind is that there are literally no downside of using it. Imagine if you use a cash-back credit card and shop online through Ebates to one of the participating retailers, which in turn allows you to earn Drop points rewards with your linked credit card. That’s basically a three-in-one combo for a single shopping trip! I guess you could say that’s the ultimate savings method.
With an ever increasing connected world and with people not willing to carry on yet another loyalty card, just remember that all of this is done auto magically, without any user interaction! The downside? It can get addictive and you should not fall prey to spending more than you intend to somewhere just to earn points, but if you were willing to buy something at a specific store in the first place, why not get rewarded three times for it! I hope you enjoyed this Drop App review and hopefully you might want to try it out!
Other financial tools reviews you might be interested in
- Automate your investments: Wealthsimple Review
- Get started with peer-to-peer lending: Lending Loop Review
- Invest your spare change: Mylo Review