Welcome to 2017!
I know that I’m a bit early for all the cheering but I’ve written this post in early December as I’m currently on vacation spending some quality time with my family. As usual each year, a lot of people are willing to set new goals. In fact, did you know that around 45% of people set themselves some New Year’s resolutions, but around 25% of people already abandoned in the first seven days of January? That’s scary and I don’t want to be included in that statistic.
That’s why I’ve chosen to detail my goals for 2017 here on this post. You may be wondering why I would want to share my goals with the rest of the world? This is essentially for the same reason that I share my financial stats, which is for accountability and motivation purposes.
I’ve been thinking a lot in the last few weeks about what I want to do with my life and I’m so excited for the upcoming year and my brand new goals! Maybe I won’t be able to achieve everything I’ve planned so far, but I’m convinced that I’m capable of reaching most of these goals.
This will also be a good exercise to track and measure my overall progress regarding these goals. And who knows, maybe I’ll surprise myself along the way when I look back to this post next year!
For the upcoming year I have set myself 12 different goals, split into 3 different categories:I've always performed better when my goals are set ahead of time.Click To Tweet
Financial Goals for 2017
I’d like 2017 to be a major turning point year, which is why I’m trying to set some good habits to finally see some huge improvement regarding my finances. I’m still a bit nervous about not having that much savings with the beginning of the year approaching so quickly. That’s why my first goals for 2017 are financial ones, in order to quickly and drastically improve my financial situation. You can find resumed my financial stats if you want to learn more about me!
- Goal #1 – Increase our emergency fund to $2,000. Ultimately, I want to reach at least one month-covered expenses. That would be a little bit higher than $2,000 for us (should be around $3,000 ultimately), but this goal would still be a good start. We should be able to achieve this mid-year.
- Goal #2 – Increase our combined Net Worth by 100% (our target is a Net Worth of $22,000 by the end of next year). That seems like a big number but we still have quite a *low* Net Worth, so this is definitely an achievable target number. I might update this one (to a higher figure) as the end of year approaches in case I feel confident enough.
- Goal #3 – Contribute $10,000 to my retirements accounts (my RRSP with Wealthsimple and my employer pension). Our income should increase in the upcoming months due to Mrs. FFG finishing her PhD in a couple of months. This amount is around the maximum I can contribute for the year 2017 (which is 18% of my 2016 earned income). I will adjust this figure when I’ll know my exact contribution room available for 2017.
- Goal #4 – Save at least 20% of our income as an average for the year. We’re currently near 10% on a month-by-month basis, and I would like to reach 15% in the short-term and hopefully 20% or more in the next upcoming months.
Blogging Goals for 2017
These are the goals which I’ve set regarding this website and its overall improvement. All of these goals are about improving or adding new features, whether it is regarding a better design and monetizing the website, or reaching a bigger audience. If you’ve not read it already, feel free to read my complete guide on how to start a blog on Bluehost, where I detail each and every step required to start a blog.
- Goal #5 – Publish at least one blog post every ten days (that’s about 35 posts for the whole year). I started this blog with one post a week in mind, but in the last few weeks I couldn’t keep up with this schedule. I’m still taking way too much time to write down what’s going through my mind hehe!
- Goal #6 – Have at least 100 subscribers by the end of the year. I recently finished adding a newsletter (with Mailchimp) and configured it with a single optin form below my posts. As a good start to build an audience I’m aiming at around 100 subscribers before 2018, which I think is totally doable.
- Goal #7 – Generate $500 in blog income. I’ve started monetizing this website, mainly with affiliate marketing, and as a way to keep motivated, I’m aiming at generating at least $500 next year. I’m already planning on writing some recurring posts about earning money with affiliate marketing and how much I’m earning money with this website.
- Goal #8 – Learn more about SEO. I recently started learning a LOT about Search Engine Optimization as this is something I’m really interested to learn about. I’ve already applied some great ideas about that here on financeforgeek.com, but there is so much more to be learned and I’m an avid learner! As an example, I’ve just finished configuring AMP (standing for Accelerated Mobile Pages) and I’ve already a blog scheduled for early January regarding the how and why you should implement AMP on your blog (updated: check my detailed post on AMP here).
Personal Goals for 2017
These are my personal goals. You’ll notice that I’m a big runner-enthusiast (I’ve already run two full marathons!) hence my first personal goal. I also truly wanna spend more time with my girlfriend and what’s better than spending some quality time with your S.O and family?
- Goal #9 – Run at least two more official half marathons races and one full marathon race. It’s already been a couple years since I started running official races, and I am kind of addicted to it! Even if I’ve always just run for myself, the feeling after crossing the finish line with 42.2km behind you is simply so much overwhelming.
- Goal #10 – Go on at least one big trip. It’s going to be tough coming from this year when we have been traveling at least once every three months, but we have too many financial goals to achieve this year, so we definitely have to reduce our travel budget.
- Goal #11 – Take at least three weeks of vacation with my girlfriend and/or my family. This is to ensure that I take time to relax and enjoy all the hard work from the year. You know what they say: “word hard, play hard“!
- Goal #12 – Read two personal finances related books. I’m not such a big reader (I mean like I’ve been used to read a book maybe once every two years!) so that’s quite a challenge for me, but I really enjoy personal finances book at the moment. I recently finished reading The 4-Hour Workweek, and I just ordered I Will Teach You To Be Rich, which seems like another interesting reading!
Okay so there you have it, my detailed list of goals for 2017. I definitely want to take advantage of everything I learned from starting a blog to continue moving forward. I also want to leverage everything I learned in 2016 to make 2017 a great year! From now on, I will be writing a post on a monthly basis regarding my progress on these 12 goals in order to ensure that I reach each one of them (or at least *most of them*).
Let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas regarding my post, and feel free to share and comment below this post!
So that’s my goals for 2017! What about you? Are you planning on crushing 2017?